Monday, February 2, 2009

Are you running scared?


Are you running scared?

Daily Scripture: “The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want.” -Psalm 23:1

Read Daniel 6:15-28
I have been trying to use less familiar scripture passages in an effort to strengthen my retention of all parts of the Bible. I also hope to introduce all of you to some verses you have never read or seldom read. Today I want to reflect on 2009 and the ways in which it is being approached. I also want to review 2008 and the mistakes I may have made during it. Those of you hoping for ground breaking new information on how dumb I can be…….
I recently returned from the national camp leaders meeting in California. Yes it was much warmer than Iowa yet my car windows were frosted up a few days. At this meeting many camp leaders are worrying over the economy and what that means for camp this summer. It is easy to get bogged down in the financial management of a site and to forget to look towards the heavens.


What kind of behaviors was Daniel exhibiting which caused his being tossed into the lion’s den?

Which side of this story are you on today? Have you been faithfully trusting in God? Have you been throwing others into the lion’s den?

In 2007 as interim Director there were a lot of challenges to face and I knew right away without God it would be a long and hard road. In 2008 we had the right staff in place, I was finally director and I had the world by the horns. It was much harder to trust in God and to keep the focus his love and presence in the midst of everything. It was much harder to fall on my knees everyday and ask God to bless the management and outreach of Wesley Woods. It was much harder to lift it all up to him and to trust him to provide. I think there are a lot of similarities to this story of Daniel and the world today.
Lion’s aren’t probably about to eat you, but what things are you facing that can consume you in the same way? Are you concerned about how to pay for college, pay the bills, or your family?

In what ways do you respond to threats like these? Do you turn to God and put your trust there like Daniel did or do you shoulder the burden and try to climb through the swamp of despair and separation from God?
I know that the economy is tough and times are lean, but my prayer everyday is that God helps people see the need for Jesus and they will respond by getting more kids than ever to camp. The last week I have heard story after story of the transforming power of a loving God and I don’t want the flock of God to miss the shepherd because parents lost jobs, the church fails to provide opportunities to make disciples for the transformation of the world or the bottom line is the only consideration. We don’t know what this year holds financially, but we must remain faithful that God will care for us.
Prayer: God let us trust in you to lead your flock through green pastures and beside still waters. Let us give of what you have given to your ministries. Let us not focus on what we might not have, but on what you have given. AMEN

No comments: